The Enduring Trauma of Racism and Oppression: Ethical Coonsiderations for Authentic Therapists
Monday, October 16, 2017
Our work as trauma professionals and clinicians requires us to see beyond race and culture when working with our clients. As a result, many of us tend to miss the pivotal role that racism and oppression plays in the way that our clients view their trauma and themselves. In order to be the authentic therapists that we strive to be, we must be willing to explore the uncomfortable issues that have shaped our lives as Americans, helping professionals, and human beings.
This training is an invitation to experience diversity in the safety of a seasoned guide and other clinicians. Rather than focusing on case studies or hypothetical events, we will explore how each of us has been personally affected by oppression. Increasing our self-knowledge will then pave the way for an increased understanding of how it has affected our clients.
At the end of the day, each courageous participant will be able to:
- Understand the concept of cultural competency as an ethical requirement
- Understand the connection between racism, oppression, and trauma.
- Define and identify “internalized oppression”.
- Identify how prejudice affects the brain.
- Explore the connection between oppression and health.
The Forgiveness Path: A Sacred Journey of Healing and Renewal
Friday September 29- Sunday, October 1, 2017
Rooted in every spiritual tradition, the practice of forgiveness has been scientifically proven to impact our physical, emotional, and spiritual health. Most importantly, it provides us with an opportunity to move beyond the beliefs and behaviors that prevent us from achieving true healing and success.
This retreat is an opportunity to:
- Address resentments with yourself and others that have blocked you from living out your calling….
- Re-connect with your innate wisdom…
- Identify tools for re-storing your mind, body, and spirit…
This group may be eligible for insurance reimbursement.
Medical leave notes can be provided for workday attendance.
Guidance from the Heart: Supervision/Consultation for Visionary Healers
3rd Wednesday of each Month, Sept 2017 – June 2018